Ana Sofia Chamorro
5 Books To Give You The Creeps
A guide to finding the perfect book to haunt you for the rest of your life
Do you want to sit down and read a story that will make your skin crawl? If so, this article is for you. Thriller books are designed to keep us entertained with suspense and terror. By invoking a hunger to know what happens next, they keep us turning page after page.
1. “The Couple Next Door” by Shari Lapena. This book follows a perfectly normal young family leading a perfectly normal life. One night, they go to a dinner party when a terrible crime is committed. The young couple discover the secrets they’ve kept each other for years, secrets about unfaithfulness and deception. Have their whole lives together been a lie?
When was the last time you kept a secret that came back to haunt you? Here you can find an article that explains further why keeping secrets is intoxicating and can even affect your health.
2. “The Island Of Doctor Moreau” by H.G. Wells. Moreau is a doctor that strives to give life to the beasts inside humans by experimenting through methods that question the morals of our entire society. In this sinister story, Wells tells the tale of the behavioral evolution in animals such as humans.
This image shows the part in the story when humans start to convert into the human that lives inside.
3. “Shutter Island” by Dennis Lehane. Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule visit the Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane in Shutter Island in search of a missing patient, Rachel Solando. As a terrible storm hits, the island is closed down, keeping the U.S Marshals trapped inside the mental institution. Their investigation uncovers the horrific truth about Ashecliffe. But what about the truth about Teddy Daniels? There is also a movie adaptation of Shutter Island starring Leonardo di Caprio and Mark Ruffalo.
4. “The Woman in the Window” by A.J. Finn. Anna Fox has a boring life. Mostly she spends her time spying on her neighbors, whom she considers as ‘the perfect family'. One night she sees something she shouldn’t have and she begins to question her reality. No one is what it seems, no one is safe. This book will keep you turning the page and will make you question what is real and what is not.
This image shows the story as I pictured it, that of a lonely woman wishing to entertain herself.
5. Anything by Stephen King. His last name says it, he is the king of horror novels. He is the writer of It, The Shining, Doctor Sleep, and The Stand, among many others. Honestly, anything you read by him will be worth reading. The twists will make you flinch, and the endings will make you scream.
It is one of the most famous Stephen King novels and had one of the most successful movie adaptations.
Personally, I do not like horror novels or movies because they never fail to give me nightmares. However, I really enjoyed Shutter Island and think that the novel was remarkable because it shows us the levels of insanity humans can reach to deny their past. I read it after watching the film (starring Leonardo DiCaprio) and was not disappointed. Still, I choose to stick to fantasy books.
As we enter October, fall, and the spooky season, grab one of these books to keep you entertained. But remember… someone is always watching.